I've never written my goals before whether in paper or on-line. I just keep a mental note of the things I want to achieve (mostly major goals and long-term) and let things happen in their own time. I am proud to say that I was able to achieve most of those goals. But they say, writing down goals is more effective. Just like a written agreement, written goals are more binding. Since I want to be more agressive, starting this year, I am going to write my goals and review my progress regularly. Following the S-M-A-R-T philosophy, here are my bloggable goals for 2008.
R-elevant/ Realistic; and
- Have a baby.
- Lose 20 pounds by end of the year. I guess it's self-explanatory.
- Read at least one book per month. Since I got hook into blogging and blog-hopping, I haven't been reading books anymore. I miss reading books. This year, I want to read different kinds of books including fiction, biography, inspirational, personal finance and management.
- Do atleast one different activity per month. I've been here or four years already but I haven't been around the Qatar much. My activities are limited to malling, watching movies/play or eating out. This year, I want to spice-up my life a little and do something different like camping, picnic or going to the beach. You read it guys, I haven't been to a beach here! Discovering new restaurants also belong to this goal.
Personal Goals at Work
- Complete at least one on-line training per week. Our company has many on-line trainings available through Learning Mangement System or LMS. Some of these trainings are really good and only takes 30 mins to 1 hour to complete. I guess one training per week isn't to much to do.
- Complete the Project Management Curriculum. As I do atleast one training per week, I want to complete the Project Management Curriculum.
- Achieve my planned savings of _________ for 2008. Sorry guys, the amount is non-bloggable. heheheheheh. I intend to keep part of this amount in a high-yield savings account. Then a good portion of this is alloted for a family trip to Hong Kong in 2009.
- Open a high-yield savings account in Qatar by 2nd Quarter.
- Start a financial investment in Qatar by 3nd Quarter. Since Dollar is depreciating, Peso is getting stronger each day and Riyal is still peg to the Dollar, I want to keep my savings and investments in Riyals. At least if Riyals decided to un-peg from the green buck, I can convert it to more Dollars. Besides, Qatar's economy is growing exponentially so investing locally is a more logical path forward.
- Pay my creditcard in full every billing cycle. I don't want to pay a single dirham in finance charges. Doing this will keep my finances healthy.
- Repainting of my old car by 3nd quarter. I included this in my financial goals because this can cost a lot of money.
- Travel to atleast one international destination by end of the year.
I will review my progress quarterly to see if I am on-track! How about you, do you also write your goals?