For our Muslim brothers, Ramadan is the most awaited time of year. What to expect during Ramadan:
- Restaurants and shops are closed during the day. This can be frustrating at times although they open in the evening til midnight or early morning. Expect horrible traffic in the evening.
- Shortened workhours. This is good if the company is implementing the mandated 6-hour work day for both Muslims and non-Muslims.
- New timing for rush hours. Since workhours is shorter, traffic between 12 noon to 2 pm and in the evening is horrible.
- Banks and offices start late and close early although some bank branches are open in the evening.
- Expect supermarkets to be full as people buy food to prepare sumptous meal to break the fast (Iftar).
- Many promotions. It's a good time to buy a new car.
- Most importantly, do not eat, drink and smoke in public.